The Gilmore museum is located in Hickory Corners Michigan which is part of Barry county at the intersection of M-43 and West Hickory Road. The museum includes the Michigan Motor Sports Hall of Fame. The Kellogg Biological Station, which is an off-campus education complex of Michigan State University! The Gilmore Car Museum is also North America’s largest auto museum with nearly 400 vehicles on display and over 189,000 square feet of exhibit space.
A passion that was ignited from the restoration of a 1920 Pierce Arrow, a birthday gift from wife Genevieve, Donald S. Gilmore continued to buy and restore classic automobiles in the years that followed.
Gilmore latter acquired 90 acres of farmland in southwest Michigan to accommodate his growing collection. Gilmore also purchased several historic barns, had them dismantled and moved to the site. From Genevieve’s idea of turning the collection into a museum that would allow others to enjoy this one of kind collection, the Gilmore’s established a non-profit foundation and opened the museum to the public on Sunday, July 31, 1966.
Today, the Gilmore Car Museum includes numerous historic buildings, vintage dealerships, a fully-functioning 1941 City Diner, a recreated 1930s Shell Gas Station, and so much more.
The Gilmore Car Museum is a founding member of the National Association of Automobile Museums, as well as a member of the American Alliance of Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Michigan Museums Association, and the Motor Cities National Heritage Area – affiliate of the National Park Service.